Inconsiderate moron
Thursday, August 7th, 2008 07:04 pmI am so irritated at this moment. On Mondays and Thursdays, I commute to a town about a 1-1/2 away from where I usually work to do my internship. I don't go every Thursday, but this week I had to.
miome wanted to go down to this town as well to do some work with colleagues that worked there, so we decided to commute together. This would also give us an excuse to eat at some of the restaurants and see some of the sights of the town that we keep hearing about, but never get to try/see. She sent an email to her co-workers letting them know what was going on.
One of her co-workers replied with "Great! I need to go to town as well. I'll commute with you."
Do you see the problem in that reply? The problem is that there are no questions. Nothing along the lines of "Do you mind..." or "Is it okay if I..." or even "Can I..." Nope. Just the assumption that he can come with us.
Miome asks me about it, and I agree that he can come on one condition. We have to leave campus no later than 7:25, because I cannot be late to my internship. He agree to this condition. All is set.
The day before we are to go, he emails Miome and wants to know if we can leave town by 3:30pm. He has an appointment he forgot about and need to be back so he can go to it. Miome asks me. My internship is more flexible about when I can leave, so I agree. Not thrilled, but I can swing it.
Day starts. The drive there is pretty uneventful. I go through my day and keep in touch with Miome. I also fill out my time sheet so I can get it signed quickly when I need to leave. It starts getting close to 3:30. I start wrapping up my work since I need to transfer files to my thumb drive and once I do that, I can't work on those files any more, and I don't want to make co-worker late for his appointment. I shut get everything ready at 3:30 and am chatting through gchat with Miome. Where's co-worker? She doesn't know. Five minutes go by, then ten, then fifteen. Miome gets off the computer to go find co-worker. I get my stuff together and go outside to wait since they are only a few minutes away.
At 4:00pm, they show up. Co-worker was in a meeting that ran long. Did he bother to let Miome know what was going on? Nope. She just had to wait and couldn't tell me whether I could keep working or not. I'm not thrilled. If you ask if I can leave work at 3:30, I am going to be understandably upset when you yourself are not ready to leave at that time. That was thirty minutes I could have been working and getting paid.
It gets better.
We get on the road. About half-way to our destination we hit traffic. Nasty traffic. Seems they are repaving a whole section of road and traffic is backed up because of it. We sit in said traffic for about 30 minutes. Seems like co-worker is going to miss his appointment. He's got a new puppy and this is a vet appointment for the puppy's second round of shots. I mention that he's probably not going to make it.
"Oh that's okay. My girlfriend can take the dog. I was just hoping to be there."
Wait a minute. You mean you asked both me and Miome to take off time from work after you invited yourself to commute with us so you could go to an appointment you didn't actually need to go to? An appointment that was, in fact, optional? No wonder he wasn't worried about the meeting running late or him not making the appointment! To say I was peeved at this point was an understatement.
We finally get back into city around 5:45pm. All we have to do is drop off co-worker and then we can go get something to eat because silly me, I thought we were going to be leaving at 3:30 and would be able to eat early so I skipped my afternoon snack. Both Miome and I want him out of the car.
Co-worker decides that instead of going through the side streets we should get on the belt line, because of course the major highway around the city that everyone uses would certainly not be crowded during rush hour. -_- Idiot. We get stuck in even more traffic to basically get on the highway for a grand total of two exits before getting off. Why he though this was a good idea I'll never know.
We got him out of the car and were both starving and cranky. A quick stop by a truly awful KFC fixed most of that, but did nothing to improve our moods. Never again.
One of her co-workers replied with "Great! I need to go to town as well. I'll commute with you."
Do you see the problem in that reply? The problem is that there are no questions. Nothing along the lines of "Do you mind..." or "Is it okay if I..." or even "Can I..." Nope. Just the assumption that he can come with us.
Miome asks me about it, and I agree that he can come on one condition. We have to leave campus no later than 7:25, because I cannot be late to my internship. He agree to this condition. All is set.
The day before we are to go, he emails Miome and wants to know if we can leave town by 3:30pm. He has an appointment he forgot about and need to be back so he can go to it. Miome asks me. My internship is more flexible about when I can leave, so I agree. Not thrilled, but I can swing it.
Day starts. The drive there is pretty uneventful. I go through my day and keep in touch with Miome. I also fill out my time sheet so I can get it signed quickly when I need to leave. It starts getting close to 3:30. I start wrapping up my work since I need to transfer files to my thumb drive and once I do that, I can't work on those files any more, and I don't want to make co-worker late for his appointment. I shut get everything ready at 3:30 and am chatting through gchat with Miome. Where's co-worker? She doesn't know. Five minutes go by, then ten, then fifteen. Miome gets off the computer to go find co-worker. I get my stuff together and go outside to wait since they are only a few minutes away.
At 4:00pm, they show up. Co-worker was in a meeting that ran long. Did he bother to let Miome know what was going on? Nope. She just had to wait and couldn't tell me whether I could keep working or not. I'm not thrilled. If you ask if I can leave work at 3:30, I am going to be understandably upset when you yourself are not ready to leave at that time. That was thirty minutes I could have been working and getting paid.
It gets better.
We get on the road. About half-way to our destination we hit traffic. Nasty traffic. Seems they are repaving a whole section of road and traffic is backed up because of it. We sit in said traffic for about 30 minutes. Seems like co-worker is going to miss his appointment. He's got a new puppy and this is a vet appointment for the puppy's second round of shots. I mention that he's probably not going to make it.
"Oh that's okay. My girlfriend can take the dog. I was just hoping to be there."
Wait a minute. You mean you asked both me and Miome to take off time from work after you invited yourself to commute with us so you could go to an appointment you didn't actually need to go to? An appointment that was, in fact, optional? No wonder he wasn't worried about the meeting running late or him not making the appointment! To say I was peeved at this point was an understatement.
We finally get back into city around 5:45pm. All we have to do is drop off co-worker and then we can go get something to eat because silly me, I thought we were going to be leaving at 3:30 and would be able to eat early so I skipped my afternoon snack. Both Miome and I want him out of the car.
Co-worker decides that instead of going through the side streets we should get on the belt line, because of course the major highway around the city that everyone uses would certainly not be crowded during rush hour. -_- Idiot. We get stuck in even more traffic to basically get on the highway for a grand total of two exits before getting off. Why he though this was a good idea I'll never know.
We got him out of the car and were both starving and cranky. A quick stop by a truly awful KFC fixed most of that, but did nothing to improve our moods. Never again.
(no subject)
Date: 8/7/08 11:55 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 8/8/08 12:03 am (UTC)I actually managed to not betray my irritation. I think I deserve a nomination for sainthood.
(no subject)
Date: 8/8/08 11:38 am (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 8/8/08 04:30 am (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 8/8/08 04:30 am (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 8/8/08 05:59 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 8/8/08 02:04 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 8/8/08 05:22 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 8/8/08 06:01 pm (UTC)Yeah, he's not going with us again. I've already told Miome she should use me as an excuse if nothing else works. "I was planning a romantic dinner with my girlfriend" pretty much trumps any attempt to invite yourself along. XD
(no subject)
Date: 8/9/08 12:28 pm (UTC)So yeah ... next time, I'm just going to tell him that it won't be possible for him to ride with us.
(no subject)
Date: 8/8/08 05:46 pm (UTC)Within reason, of course, I would have at least made my feelings (very similar to yours) quite clear.